104 Green Hill Dr.
James River State Park is known for paddling, but the 1,500-acre park also has about 16 miles of multi-use trail, all of which is open to hiking and all but a half mile is open to biking (equestrians have access to about 14 miles). While there’s no swimming, there is good fishing and tubing with shuttle service Memorial Day through Labor Day. A good base camp location for paddling the James River
More info here.
- Distance from downtown Charlottesville: 65 miles (1 hour, 20 minutes)
- To get there, go here.
- GPS: 37.623271, -78.809896
- No. of campsites: 53
- No. with hookups: 40
- No. without hookups: 13
- Primitive sites: 13
- Reservations? Yes. 800.933.PARK, www.reserveamerica.com
- Cost: $30 with hookups, $13 for primitive
- Year-round? Yes: Primitive; Campsites with hookups are open March 1 through first Monday in December.
- Gate hours: Opens at 8 a.m., closes between 4 and 10 p.m. depending upon day of week
- Stuff to do nearby: hike, bike, canoe, kayak, history