Top 5 Maui Adventures
By Zach Wright (Greensboro Shop).
If you’re looking for a trip that is full of potential for incredible outside action, Maui is the perfect spot for you. While living on the island for a year, I went on a lot of amazing adventures. To help with your trip planning, here are my 5 favorite adventures on Maui.
1) The Road to Hana: Along this drive you’ll wind through a combination of mountains, rain forest, and ocean cliffs, so you’ll have plenty of beautiful sights to see along the way. Don’t forget to stop by many of the amazing spots to hike or see waterfalls including Wai’anapanapa Beach, Twin Falls, Ohe’o Gulch (Seven Sacred Pools), and Red Sand Beach.
2) Snorkeling: There are many spots to snorkel on Maui, so it won’t be too hard to find a good one. One of the most popular ways to snorkel is by catching a boat tour to Molokini, a sunken crater in the ocean that now provides some awesome snorkeling. Other great spots are Maluaka Beach, Turtle Town, Honolua Bay, and Ulua Beach.
3) Camping on Lana’i: This island located just off of Maui is a short boat ride away, and provides some great camping spots. If you’re lucky, you may see a pod of dolphins off the south coast of the island.
4) Iao Valley: If you’re looking for a hike full of history and beauty, check out Iao Valley. You can either stop at the point or keep going up the river for even more beauty.
5) Sliding Sands Trail (Haleakala): This is probably the hardest hike on Maui. Drive up to the peak of the massive volcano and see amazing views of the island in all directions. The trail starts at the peak and goes down into the crater and then comes back up some switchbacks to make around 11 miles of hiking. You will experience hiking through some of the most amazing landscapes that make you feel like you’re on Mars.